The fire sprinkler system is among the most important components of a fire protection system. It not only protects the occupants against unforeseen fire mishaps, but also prevents major property damage. Thus, maintaining your sprinkler system is crucial for the protection of both property and people, especially during the winter season. As the temperature can drop dangerously low during the winters in many parts of the United States and Canada, your fire sprinkler system’s pipes may freeze. In that case, your fire protection system will become useless in case of a fire emergency. Therefore, it is essential to prepare your fire sprinkler system for winter.
Following are a few preventive maintenance tips for your fire sprinkler system in the winter season:
- One of the causes of water-based fire sprinkler system failure in winter is frozen pipes. When the temperature falls, the pipes’ water may freeze and cause the pipe to burst and cause water damage. Therefore, as per NFPA standards, the water-based fire suppression system, such as the sprinkler system, needs to be maintained at a minimum of 40 degrees.
- It is recommended to monitor the drop in temperature and ensure sufficient insulation to ensure the wet systems are not exposed to freezing temperatures.
- If you are using a wet sprinkler system, it is recommended to mix an antifreeze solution in the water to prevent the water from freezing during cold weather. It is best to consult with a skilled professional to ensure mixing the right concentration of antifreeze solution in water.
- A dry sprinkler system keeps pressurized air in the pipes and can effectively withstand cold weather. However, it is essential to regularly drain the dry pipe system during the winter as it may collect moisture and condensation, which may cause blockages.
- It is recommended to maintain the building’s temperature above 40 to ensure it does not fall below the recommended limit. Having a backup heating system is essential for commercial buildings to ensure the building’s temperature does not drop if there is a power outage.
- It is recommended to add insulation for pipes wherever the pipes exit and re-enter the building or in isolated rooms where there is a lack of heat.
- Without a doubt, the most effective method to ensure the proper functionality of your fire sprinkler system is to schedule regular inspection and maintenance services year-round. It is best to consult with a certified expert from a professional fire protection company like FireServ to ensure proper fire system maintenance throughout the winter season.
FireServ provides professional fire protection services throughout the United States, Canada and Mexico. Contact us today for more information.